(1) The present Convention shall apply to:
(a) ships registered in countries the Governments
of which are Contracting Governments;
(b) ships registered in territories to which the
present Convention is extended under Article
(c) unregistered ships flying the flag of a State,
the Government of which is a Contracting Government.
(2) The present Convention shall apply to ships
engaged on international voyages.
(3) The regulations contained in annex I, unless expressly provided otherwise, are applicable
to new ships.
(4) Existing ships which do not fully comply with
the requirements of the Regulations contained in Annex
I or any part thereof shall meet at least such lesser related
requirements as the Administration applied to ships on international
voyages prior to the coming into force of the present Convention;
in no case shall such ships be required to increase their freeboards.
In order to take advantage of any reduction in freeboard from that
previously assigned, existing ships shall comply with all the requirements
of the present Convention.
(5) The Regulations contained in Annex II are applicable to new and existing ships to which
the present Convention applies.